As the world starts to travel again, particularly in our core markets of Europe and the US, we know that global travel demand will take off in new ways. We are adding to our product to provide a more complete, connected and contextually relevant experience, and have big plans to become the world’s trusted companion for planning travel!
Rome2rio encourages you to apply even if you’re still developing some of these skills!
We value diversity and welcome all applicants regardless of ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability.
What we can do for you
As SRE / DevOps Lead you will join our Tech Leadership team in Melbourne. Work with our Engineering, Product, Data Science, Content & Commercial teams to ensure that our infrastructure is maintained and that the development teams have the tools and environments required to work efficiently on the range of engineering projects that make Rome2rio successful.
This technical leadership opportunity will see you working with an engaged cross-functional team that is passionate about our product. You will have space to work with autonomy while influencing the direction of our infrastructure, tools, developer experience and environments. In addition to flexibility when and where you work, outcomes focussed on how you work, and an environment where your input is valued.
Your key responsibilities will be
– Owning developer services, tooling and improving the developer experience
– Monitoring and improving site availability, reliability, and performance
– Automating and optimising server commissioning and maintenance
– Maintaining our growing infrastructure – bare metal and cloud
– Assisting in managing our site and infrastructure security
– Providing technical assistance in product releases and deploys
– Researching and advocating for SRE leading practices
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for somebody who has a real passion for SRE, quality, performance and security of highly available, highly trafficked web services.
Your passion and broad knowledge for SRE, innovative mindset and experience working across the entire product platform and infrastructure, including strategy, execution and support. We value people who are platform agnostic and are willing to work in any software (or hardware) environment.
A coaching and collaborative philosophy where you’ll work closely with the engineering teams to build the best solutions for our users.
Skills and requirements
– Experience owning and running web applications at scale
– Solid understanding of networking and security
– Comfortable with the command line
– Ability to write simple applications and automation scripts
– Familiarity with SQL and NoSQL database systems
– Familiarity with version control systems
– Excellent problem-solving skills
– Willingness to learn on the job
– Experience or willingness to work in a team, mentor team members, review code and contribute to the implementation of good engineering practices
– Computer Science or Software Engineering background. Bachelor or higher degree is preferred, but not mandatory.
It would be great if you brought experience or a willingness to learn the following:
– Have people leadership skills or a desire to learn – this role currently has 1 direct report
– Have experience using or administrating BuildKite, TFS Team Build, or other build systems
– Have experience or knowledge of containerisation (eg Docker) and orchestration (eg Kubernetes)
– Knowledge of infrastructure as code tooling
– Familiar with relational database packages such as PostgreSQL or MySQL, as well as NoSQL databases such as Redis
– Have experience with Windows and Linux administration
– Can code in OO languages such as C# or C++ (at any level).